The Carer Gateway is one of the least known services within aged care, partly perhaps because of its curious name. Carer Gateway is a service whereby carers can find support.
Access to carer Gateway is via phone at 1800 422 737 or visit their website www.carergateway.gov.au.
The services available through Carer Gateway include:
- coaching regarding ways to manage stress and improve well-being
- counselling, either in-person or by phone, for emotional concerns
- respite care, either planned or for an emergency
- connecting with other cares, either online or in-person
- skills courses, including dealing with stress and legal issues
- financial support to provide equipment, transport, or respite.
There is also a time-limited project to train carers in using computers or phones to connect to others or use the internet. This program is available until June 30 and can be accessed through Mathew Elder on Ph: 02 9280 4744.